Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Forget "Super Tuesday"

Some know today as "Super Tuesday" - others know it as "National Weatherman's (Weatherperson's) Day"! It's amazing how many people really know about this day set aside to "honor" us meteorologists. I use the word "honor" loosely. While making my daily rounds about town today, I heard the age-old joke, "You guys are the only people who can be wrong 100% of the time and still keep your job!" But seriously, it was all in good fun, and I think most viewers appreciate our efforts. Here's a few lines from a loyal WDBJ viewer who took the time to email today after she learned it was National Weatherman's Day.

"...I thank you for your role on the WDBJ 7 weather team. You are the best team in Virginia!!! I admire your tenacity even as you report from less that ideal locations and conditions. As I approach my 80th birthday, I have seen many weather conditions, some stormy, some very pleasant. The writer who said that "everyone talks about the weather but no one does anything about it" surely had it right. Thanks for keeping us informed about what we can expect."

Curious, I decided to jump on-line today to learn about more of these less known holidays. There are hundreds, it seems, so let me just mention a few that popped out for the month of February.

2/5 National Weatherman's Day
2/8 Laugh and Get Rich Day
2/14 Valentines Day (Please note: Valentine's Day also shares its day with "National Condom Day"..... seriously!)

No comments: